Wednesday, December 1, 2010

USB ports not working?

Error code 41 usb not working. The drivers were loaded but the device was not found. 

Read on if you want to know the fix :)

I just got a system in with this error. None of the USB ports were working. I had a look in the event viewer and saw bad blocks on the hard drive, so cloned the drive onto another drive that was fine. I thought the bad blocks might be corrupting the relevant USB drivers. However that did not fix!

Then I checked the BIOS to make sure that USB was enabled, it was. Still no idea! I then went and purchased a USB PCI card and put it in the system. That did not work either!

Last ditch attempt, I did a repair install of Windows, guess what, that did not work either! 

Google saves the day. Turns out that antivirus Kaspersky was installed on this system and then removed. There is some sort of bug when it is removed and messes with the registery. Managed to find a link to a reg file that seems to do the trick here is the link to the relevant thread on the Kaspersky forums.

No comments:

readbud - get paid to read and rate articles